Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year and scammers/hackers are primed to steal your information. Here are some things to guard for:
- Use an ad-blocker and pop-up blocker to keep the scam ads and “too good to be true” offerings at a minimum
- Only use sites that you are familiar with
- Beware of phishing
- Watch links in your social media which might link you to websites that are cloned.
- Always use a url with an https in the front of the address
- Don’t give too much personal information when shopping. A shipping address and email address is all the store needs to keep you updated
- Protect your device
- Keep your purse close to your body or wallet in an inside coat pocket, never leave your purse unattended in a shopping cart or basket
- Only take your credit card, some cash and your driver’s license. Much better option than taking your purse
- Be alert and aware when you are shopping
- Keep your hands free
- Park your car in a well-lighted area and lock it when you leave
- Don’t leave packages in the front or back seats, place securely in your trunk
- If shopping with others, make sure you can keep in touch via cellphone
Make your gift buying experience a pain-free one.